A public space for friends and family to keep up with me.

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Craft Monday: iQuilt Harry

(note: who knew that today wasn't Monday? Not me. I forgot that the three day weekend would mean that I wouldn't be in to work until Tuesday which threw me off my rhythm. In other news, by Friday I will actually figure out something I will be wanting to post on a regular basis).

Brace yourselves, this is a long one.

Not only a long one, but an important one. As you know, a few years ago I resented the fact that I was not crafty at all. Once I started crafting I couldn't stop, but there was one crafter I admired so very much: Ofenjen. If you've visited her site you know that she is very crafty in many ways, but her favorite craft is quilting. Not only does she quilt awesome paper pieced patterns, but a giant chunk of her patterns are Harry Potter inspired.

I watched the HP_paperpiecing community for a long time before I finally decided that paper piecing was something I needed to try. To those unfamiliar with the term 'paper piecing' it is:
A method of making quilt blocks in which the pieces are sewn to a foundation of paper. This makes it easier to work with odd shapes and angles, as the foundation stabilizes the pieces during construction.

I went to all of the links that Jen had on her website and sucked in all of the information as fast as possible so I could try it out. I started sewing and couldn't stop. A few of my favorite blocks are down below. I haven't done any blocks in a while, but hopefully in the next week I'll finally catch up and get back to one of my favorite crafts.

Riddles diary nine and three quarters Pigwidgeon
All patterns are available at Sewhooked.org


I've designed a few patterns myself (but we'll leave that until next week), and I try to enter most of the challenges hosted on the livejournal community. Most recently, I've created a prize for a challenge. It is a design challenge centered around The Tales of Beedle the Bard, and the prize I made is an iQuilt Harry cross stitch.

iQuilt Harry

iQuilt Harry close-up Hogwarts Crest HP_paperpiecing


I'm especially proud of this cross stitch, not only because it turned out kind of pretty, but because the hp_paperpiecing community means so much to me.

1 comment:

Jennifer Ofenstein said...

You have been one of the most inspired crafters I've ever met. It's quite awesome to say that I've been around since you got that very first spark and have watched you completely on fire ever since!